As Purchased Condition Of The Car
Originally the car included a Mayo V-shaped cellular radiator serving as a condenser. Unfortunately the design was somewhat different than what had been employed successfully on the earlier Model 725 Stanleys and was prone to leaking at the V-joint. Records in the Marshall Collection indicate this particular car was serviced twice for condenser leakage in the first years of its life. Stanley soon went to a more rugged Mayo flat truck radiator and housed it in a brass V-shaped grill.
Stanley began offering electric lights as an option in 1913. By 1915 six-volt electrical systems were standard equipment. A six-volt Willard Storage Battery mounted under the rear seat was charged through an Apple Electric generator driven from the 60-tooth differential gear. Thus the battery was charging whenever the car was in motion. The “electrics” included 50-watt front headlights which each had a second 15-watt lamp mounted off-center of the mirrored reflector’s focal point to serve as a running lamp. The front headlights featured Controlite Lenses which were of a fresnel design that directed a narrow horizontal light beam similar to today’s headlight systems. Also included were a dash light for reading the Warner speedometer and Ashton pressure gauges. The single tail light included an integral stop light. In keeping with Stanley tradition not to place steam whistles or steam chimes on any of their cars (pre-1915 cars had bulb horns or mechanical horns) the Model 735 used an electric Klaxton horn operated by a floorboard button to the left of the hook-up pedals.
© 2003-2012 www.StanleyMotorCarriage.com